Why Yeshua Had To Die
The Lost Sheep of Israel
- History of Division and Disperse
- Not My People, But My People
- The Lost Sheep
- Far and Near
In Part 1, we established that Yeshua is God, the Creator, and the Messiah. Then we asked a question: “Why did He have to come down to earth in the flesh and die?” and “for whom?” YHVH, who created all things, visible and invisible, willingly came down to earth in a mortal body and dwelt among us (Jn 1:14), His creation. And, also willingly, He laid down His life as the Lamb of God (Jn 1:29), so that His people will live. So, who are “His people” He died for?
Yeshua Himself seemed to have given us a hint:
Matthew 15:23-24 (NKJV)
(22) And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.” (23) But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, “Send her away, for she cries out after us.” (24) But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
After appointing His Twelve Disciples, His priority command was also to go to the Lost Sheep of Israel:
(5) These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. (6) “But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Twice, He said, “The Lost Sheep of the house of Israel.” First, He said He had come only for them, and second, He sent His Disciples particularly to them . . . . . . . Who are the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel? The Disciples seemed to have known who they were because they did not ask their Lord any questions about them after these verses.
Let us find out . . .
First, in order to understand who “The Lost Sheep of the House of Israel“ are, we must know the history of Israel as a nation, going back to the time of Solomon. Let us have a quick review of what happened then. Please open the following diagram and use as a reference as you read along: Diagram: History of Israel and the Prophets.
Solomon, the son of King David, who was the third king since Saul to reign over the whole house of Israel (all 12 tribes) until his death (970 – 930 BC; 1 Ki 2:13-11:43; 2 Chr 1:1-9:31). Despite the unparalleled wisdom and wealth granted by the God of his fathers, and being a son of David who was the YHVH’s most favored man, and even being the builder of the magnificent First Temple, Solomon commits serious sin, which would cause the division of the nation of Israel. Contrary to common assumptions, his indulgence with 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Ki 11:3), or an affair with the Queen of Sheba, was not exactly the very reason that upset YHVH. Yes, those deeds were all against the teaching of Torah (Dt 17:14-20), which says kings are to: (1) not multiply wealth for himself; (2) not multiply wives; (3) write a copy of Torah for himself and keep Torah; and (4) be humble. But, the main reason that upset YHVH his God was because his heart was turned away from his God, YHVH, the One who had given him all the power, wisdom, and wealth, and worshiped foreign gods by the influence of the wives he took from the Gentiles.
1 Kings 11:3
(3) And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart.
Here is exactly what YHVH told Solomon:
1 Kings 11:11-13
(11) Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, “Because you have done this, and have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom away from you and give it to your servant. (12) “Nevertheless I will not do it in your days, for the sake of your father David; I will tear it out of the hand of your son. (13) “However I will not tear away the whole kingdom; I will give one tribe to your son for the sake of My servant David, and for the sake of Jerusalem which I have chosen.”
Jeroboam the son of Nebat, an Ephraimite, was raised up by YHVH and revolted against Solomon (1Ki 11:26-40). And he caused the nation to split in two as soon as Solomon’s son, Rehoboam, became king. And the following is the way it was divided (2 Ch 10:1-19):
|Northern Kingdom: House of Israel (10 tribes); Capital: Shechem, then Samaria*
Reuben; Simeon; Dan; Naphtali; Gad; Asher; Issachar; Zebulun; Joseph (Manasseh, Ephraim)**
Southern Kingdom: House of Judah (2 tribes); Capital: Jerusalem
Judah; Benjamin; (Levi)***
* The capital of the Northern Kingdom was initially at Schechem, but the 7th king, Omri (885-874 BC) moved it to Samaria (1 Ki 16:24). It remained the capital until the fall of the kingdom in 722 BC.
** I must briefly explain about the House of Joseph: Jacob adopted Joseph’s two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim, at the end of his life, so they officially became part of the Twelve Tribes:
(5) “And now your two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine.
*** And, the Levites belong to YHVH (Nu 3:45) and their inheritance is YHVH (Nu 18:20), therefore, they do not have the land for themselves as a tribe (Nu 18:23; 35:2; Dt 18:1). The tribe of Levi is not counted as one of the Twelve at this point. They lived in cities throughout the Land of Israel (Nu 35:8). But, according to 2 Chronicles 11:13-17, all of the Levites in the Northern Kingdom took stand with Rehoboam, left their cities and possessions, and came to Judah. There is some evidence, however; there were a few priests might have stayed with Israel and came back after the exile, as the Kohanim DNA was recently found among the modern-day Samaritans (2 Ki 17:24-27). But the Scripture tells us that Jeroboam “appointed for himself priests for the high places” (2 Ch 11:15) anyway.
From the beginning, the House of Israel, which is the Northern Kingdom, was rebellious. Jeroboam set up two golden calves for people to worship instead of the “inconvenience” of going up to Jerusalem to worship YHVH at the Solomon’s Temple (1 Ki 12:25-33), further going down in the wrong path. The wickedness of the House of Israel due to their idolatry (Baal and Ashtaroth worship) was unprecedented. The list of the “charges” against Israel is written in 2 Kings 17:7-17. They were basically committing blatant idolatries and being stiff-necked, meaning they did not listen to the warning by the voices of the prophets YHVH sent them. King Ahab and Queen Jezebel are the most famous and typical of the wicked royalty of the House of Israel (1 Ki 16:29-22:40). Elijah warned them, but in no avail (1 Ki 17-19). Unfortunately, but naturally, despite many warnings such as by Elijah and Elisha, Israel went down the path of destruction, until the last prophet to the Northern Kingdom, Hosea, warned of a severe judgment to come upon them, which would be fulfilled in 722 BC: The Assyrians led by Shalmaneser sieged Israel and took many, or most, of the inhabitants away (2 Ki 17:1-23). The Kingdom of Israel lasted for about 208 years. The captured population settled in a place called “Chalach” חֲלַח <H2477>, means “painful,” beyond the River of “Gozan” גּוֹזָן <H1470>, means “a cutting off” (2 Ki 17:6). The River of Gozan is a part of the Euphrates that flows through the land of Gozan, and it also appears in 1 Chronicles 5:26 where the exile of the “Reubenites, Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manasseh” were taken by the previous king of Assyria, Tiglath-Pileser III, during his reign between 747 and 727 BC. It was probably during the reign of Pekah (735-732) (2 Ki 15:29). Extra biblically, one of the apocryphal book, 2 Esdras, also records the account of the exiles of Israel, saying YHVH parted the water of the Euphrates for them. The House of Judah also had many wicked kings during it’s approximately 333 years of history, but they kept the Temple and had some reformer kings, such as Joash, Hezekiah, and Josiah, until the judgment finally fell on them in 597 BC. The sin of Judah was also idolatry.
Both kingdoms were eventually judged and carried away, the North by the Assyrians (722 BC), and the South by the Babylonians (586 BC) . . . but, only one of them came back: Judah. The total number of men came back was 42,360 with their families and servants (Ezr 2:64) in and around 536 BC after 70 years of captivity (Jer 25:11; Dan 9:2) and rebuilt the Temple and Jerusalem (Ezra and Nehemiah). But, a much larger number of them stayed in Persia. The House of Israel has never come back, has she? It was as if the whole kingdom was absorbed into the nations without a trace. Then, by the vacuum created by their dispersion, the land was filled with Babylonians whom the Assyrians brought in to populate their newly acquired property (the Assyrians ruled the Babylonians at that time before the rise of Babylon) They came and lived in the cities around Samaria and inhabited in the land, of course, bringing their idols and pagan cultures. Over the years, they were mixed physically and spiritually with those who were left in the land, and they were called Samaritans (2 Ki 17:24-41). And, even over 700 years later in the days of Yeshua, they were still living in the same area, being also called the Samaritans (Jn 4:4-26; Lk 10:25-37).
Of course, Moses foretold this scattering of the people of YHVH and the desolation as a warning:
Leviticus 26:27, 33
(27) ‘And after all this, if you do not obey Me, but walk contrary to Me, … (33) I will scatter you among the nations and draw out a sword after you; your land shall be desolate and your cities waste.
Deuteronomy 28:15, 64
(15) “But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you: … (64) “Then the LORD will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other, and there you shall serve other gods, which neither you nor your fathers have known–wood and stone.
And, over and over, He warned to all the Twelve Tribes (Dt 4:27; 29:24-25; et al.). But they did not listen, and, lo and behold, it eventually came to pass upon both Israel and Judah, just as it was written.
Let us, now, shift our attention to the people of Northern Kingdom who did not come back. What happened to the House of Israel after they went into captivity?
To make a long story extremely short: They have mostly become assimilated into the Gentile nations and culture. It is indeed a long story, of course, because it is a process that has happened over a period of about 2,700 years (counting back from 2013), as it s described in the next Scripture:
Some terminologies need to be defined before we read the next scripture are the following: (a) “Israel” here means the House of Israel; (b) “The Gentiles” means non-Hebrew people (גּוֹים ‘goyim’ <H1471>) who are not in the Covenant with YHVH and worship pagan gods. The same Hebrew word is also often translated as “the nations”; and, (c) the House of Israel is called “Ephraim” in the following passage, as they had become, or would become, the largest tribe among them. This name for the House of Israel is frequently used through out the Scripture.
(8) Israel(a) is swallowed up; Now they are among the Gentiles(b) Like a vessel in which is no pleasure. (9) For they have gone up to Assyria, Like a wild donkey alone by itself; Ephraim(c) has hired lovers. (10) Yes, though they have hired among the nations, Now I will gather them; And they shall sorrow a little, Because of the burden of the king of princes.
Exegetic Comments: As often it is the case in the prophetic scripture, about 3,000 year process is packed in this passage. Verse (8) and (9) is what happened in 722 BC, but suddenly in verse (10), after “hired among the nations,” alluding to the idolatry, YHVH says, “I will gather them,” alluding to the End-Time. “And they shall sorrow a little” is referring to the Great Tribulation, as the word “sorrow” is a code word for the tribulation (Is 5:30; 14:3; 17:11 et al.), and “the king of princes” is the anti-Christ.
And, more detailed descriptions of their sin and consequences are elaborated in the next passage below.
(11) “Because Ephraim has made many altars for sin, They have become for him altars for sinning. (12) I have written for him the great things of My law, But they were considered a strange thing. (13) For the sacrifices of My offerings they sacrifice flesh and eat it, But the LORD does not accept them. Now He will remember their iniquity and punish their sins. They shall return to Egypt. (14) “For Israel has forgotten his Maker, And has built temples; Judah also has multiplied fortified cities; But I will send fire upon his cities, And it shall devour his palaces.”
In verse (12), it says, they forgot His law, Torah, and even considered “a strange thing,” זוּר “zur” <H2114>, meaning, they became estranged and alienated from Torah, and possibly sacrificed human flesh and ate it (vs. 13), which was unacceptable to YHVH of course, built pagan temples, causing them to be punished.
(15) “All their wickedness is in Gilgal, For there I hated them. Because of the evil of their deeds I will drive them from My house; I will love them no more. All their princes are rebellious. (16) Ephraim is stricken, Their root is dried up; They shall bear no fruit. Yes, were they to bear children, I would kill the darlings of their womb.” (17) My God will cast them away, Because they did not obey Him; And they shall be wanderers among the nations.
Now they are driven from their Father’s house, cast away, and shall be wanderers among the nations.
I know I am repeating myself again, so please excuse me; but this was 2,700 years ago, and they have not been back yet! Can you imagine how lost they could be? Amazingly, some small groups maintained their tribe identities after all this time. But, many of those who completely assimilated into the Gentile societies have lost all the clue of their Hebrew ancestry. Even with the modern DNA technology, human migration study, or any highest achievement of human ingenuity, no man would be able to trace their tacks or identify all the descendants of the House of Israel. They are unidentifiable. But, not to Him. YHVH repeatedly promises through His prophets: He will regather them.
He also declared through Jacob that the exiled House of Israel, represented by Joseph and his son Ephraim, would become “great nations,” as he blessed them:
(22) “Joseph is a fruitful bough, A fruitful bough by a well; His branches run over the wall. (23) The archers* have bitterly grieved him, Shot at him and hated him.
* “archers”: the original word here is בַּעַל “ba`al “ <H1167>; “owner” “husband” “lord”
(19) But his father refused and said, “I know, my son, I know. He also shall become a people, and he also shall be great; but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his descendants shall become a multitude of nations.”
The people would “grow over the wall (fence),” become “wanderers among nations,” and “become a multitude of nations.” — all these phrases suggest that they must be spread all over the world by now! Also, the part, “Israel has forgotten his Maker” (Ho 8:14), suggests that they have lost their identity as the people of YHVH. During the thousands of years of exile, the Lost Ten Tribes have forgotten who they were and Who their God was; they have become like the Gentiles: “out of Covenant.” They are not keeping the Torah (His Commandments), nor the Feasts, nor practicing circumcision, all of which were part of the Covenant with YHVH their God. YHVH was the identity of the people of Israel. Now, they do not even know what the Torah means, that they are descendants of Jacob/Israel, or if YHVH even exists.
But, YHVH declares through Hosea and by the names of his children:
(9) Then God said: “Call his name Lo-Ammi, For you are not My people, And I will not be your God. (10) “Yet the number of the children of Israel Shall be as the sand of the sea*, Which cannot be measured or numbered. And it shall come to pass In the place where it was said to them, ‘You are not My people,’ There it shall be said to them, ‘You are sons of the living God.‘
* “the sand of the sea” — also appears in relation to the House of Israel in the following places: Ge 32:12; 41:9; Is 10:20; Ro 9:27.
“Lo-Ammi” לֹא עַמִּי <H3818> means “not my people,” a prophetic name that foretells a rejection; YHVH says, “I will not be your God.” The people of the Northern Kingdom would be divorced, and cut off from the Covenant. They would be rejected and cut off because of their iniquity, as Hosea prophesied. But, with the same breath, YHVH foretells that they will be like “the sand of the sea” in number, and that they will be His people again as the “sons of living God.”
It may be a bit puzzling for many, because over 2,700 years of process is packed in these two verses. But, this Scripture is possibly the best description of what is going to happen to the House of Israel. Here, YHVH is saying that He would cut off the House of Israel due to their sin of idolatry and unrepentant attitude, but eventually, they will multiply and increase in number as “the sand of the sea” and will become His people again. But, this time, as “the sons of the living God,” indicating that they would be regenerate, which means: “born again.” Until Yeshua came and accomplished His mission, and Paul received the revelation (Ro 9:24-26), this part was a complete mystery to the Jews, and still is to many.
Here are some related scriptures that connect “sons of God*” to being “born again”:
(14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
(26) For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
* The word בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים “benei ha-elohim” (“sons of God”) is translated as “angels of God” in the Old Testament (Ge 6:2; 6:4; Jb 1:6; 2:1). Dr. A Nyland, who is an ancient language scholar in Australia and the author/translator of “Complete Books of Enoch,” “The Book of Jubilee,” and more, asserts in her books that the word should be translated as “associate of God.” Incorporating her opinion, I believe that בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים suggests and encompasses the meaning that they are of heavenly nature; they, or their spirits, are in the realm of God.
Word study just fascinates me. I could go on and on. But, before I digress, let us resume the main discussion.
So, to summarize this section: The House of Israel became “not My people” 2,700 years ago, but will be “My people again” when they are “born again.” And, as we know, this process has been going on for 2,000 years, since our Messiah came for the first time. Then, the process will be complete when He returns for the second time. You will learn later how He would accomplish making them His people again, and that is “redemption,” but for now, let us be assured that they are not lost forever. YHVH has been keeping track of every single one of them and gathering them, one by one, as I will detail in Part 3.
They are lost in the earthly sense, but not to YHVH. The following Scriptures are His promises:
(17) “For My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from My face, nor is their iniquity hidden from My eyes.
(9) “For surely I will command, And will sift the house of Israel among all nations, As grain is sifted in a sieve; Yet not the smallest grain shall fall to the ground.
YHVH also promises to search and seek them out, and bring them back to their Land:
(11) ‘For thus says the Lord GOD: “Indeed I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. (12) “As a shepherd seeks out his flock on the day he is among his scattered sheep, so will I seek out My sheep and deliver them from all the places where they were scattered on a cloudy and dark day. (13) “And I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land; I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, in the valleys and in all the inhabited places of the country.
He calls those who have been scattered among the peoples (nations) “My sheep”; they are YHVH/Yeshua’s scattered sheep. Who is He talking about, when He says, “being scattered among the peoples and countries (nations)?” They are the “My people” who were up-rooted, exiled, and dispersed among the Gentiles (nations) in 722 BC: the House of Israel, also called the Lost Ten Tribes. The scattered sheep are the House of Israel (Ho 8:8-14; 9:15:17).
The people of God are called “sheep” in many places:
(11) You have given us up like sheep intended for food, And have scattered us among the nations.
— This verse is also referring to the House of Israel.
(1) O God, why have You cast us off forever? Why does Your anger smoke against the sheep of Your pasture? (2) Remember Your congregation, which You have purchased of old, The tribe of Your inheritance, which You have redeemed–This Mount Zion where You have dwelt.
Also from the time of Exodus:
(52) But He made His own people go forth like sheep, And guided them in the wilderness like a flock;
There are many other Scriptures to cite, and among them, the most famous one is Psalm 23: “The LORD is my Shepherd . . .” But, the most important fact in the Bible regarding this is that the people who are not in the Covenant with YHVH are never called sheep in the Bible. And, even though the House of Israel is out of Covenant, they are still called “The Lost Sheep,” because they have never been forsaken (Jos 1:5). This is a fact that will become a key point later in this study.
Far and Near
We have focused on defining The Lost Sheep of Israel so far, and learned that they are the Lost Ten Tribes of the Northern Kingdom, Israel. But, you might be asking, “What about those Jewish people who are in diaspora? They know they are Jewish. Are they not from the Northern kingdom?” You may be also saying, “The Jews who are living outside Israel — are they not all lost sheep?”
The answer is . . . not exactly; not according to the Scripture.
They are YHVH’s sheep too. But, the Jewish people, who are obviously aware of their Israelite roots, are treated differently by YHVH in the Bible and on the earth. Yes, they are also dispersed and living all over the world, but are not called the lost sheep, as a biblical term. “The Lost Sheep” is a special name for a special group of people.
Here is why . . .
Now, we have two different flocks of “sheep” of YHVH. They are “Israel” and “Judah,” and both were exiled. Israel has disappeared, as we have learned so far. But, a small part of Judah came back from Babylon, and after 70 AD when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem, they were dispersed again. And, Judah has maintained their Jewish identity and Covenant with YHVH for the most part, even in the diaspora: they are the people whom we call “the Jewish people,” the people of Judah, today. They are mainly from the tribe of Judah, and much smaller part is from Benjamin and Levi. When you search on the Internet today, the word “the Jew” is usually defined in connection with the practice of Judaism and with the genetic descendants of Israelites in general. But, in my opinion, the above definition, “the people of Judah” in connection with the Kingdom of Judah, is the best and the most biblically and historically meaningful one for the word, “the Jew” or “the Jewish people.” The people of the Lost Ten Tribes are not called the Jew. The Jewish people of today are the descendants of the people of Judah who were exiled to Babylon and did not come back, and who were dispersed mainly from Judea and from Palestine area, as the Romans called, about 40 years after the Yeshua’s Death and Resurrection in Jerusalem. The rabbinic Judaism is the spiritual descendant of the Pharisees.
Also, remember, I have talked about some “code words” that are used for prophetic and concealing purposes? In the Bible, the terms, “The Lost Sheep” and “The Lost Tribes,” are the code words that specifically mean the people and their descendants of those ten tribes of the House of Israel. In a practical sense, there are probably many people of Judah who are “lost” just like the people of Israel, losing their identity. But, when those terms are used in the Bible, they are about the House of Israel.
Here is another set of very important “code words”: Israel and Judah, the two flocks of YHVH, are also called “those who are far” and “those who are near” in the Scripture. The meanings are as the following:
|The Lost Flock
— the ones who are “far” — House of Israel — “Lost Sheep of Israel” — out of Covenant
The Flock that Came Back
— the ones who are “near” — House of Judah — “The Jews” — still in Covenant
Solomon, in his dedication prayer for the newly built Temple, prophesied regarding those who are “far” and “near” (Remember, it was before the kingdom was divided in two?):
1 Kings 8:46
(46) “When they sin against You (for there is no one who does not sin), and You become angry with them and deliver them to the enemy, and they take them captive to the land of the enemy, far or near;
This was prophetic, and of course, he also prayed for the forgiveness, in advance, in the following verses (1 Ki 8:47-48).
Also, Daniel called them in the same way in his intercessory prayer:
(7) “O Lord, righteousness belongs to You, but to us shame of face, as it is this day–to the men of Judah*, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel**, those near* and those far off in all the countries** to which You have driven them, because of the unfaithfulness which they have committed against You.
Did you notice the parallelism?: * “Judah” and “near”; ** “Israel” and “far off in all the countries.” These are the biblical definitions of the terms, “those who are far” is Israel and “those who are near” is Judah. As it so goes, “by of the mouth of two or three witnesses, matter shall be established” (Dt 9:15; Mt 18:16). Later, the knowledge of these terminologies defined in the Old Testament will become crucial in understanding the New Testament.
You can read more discussion on the dispersed Israel and Judah populations of today in the Footnote section with many links to interesting information.
The most important point to YHVH is whether they are still in the Covenant or not. To Him, “those who are near” means those who are still in Covenant with Him, and acknowledge Him as their God by keeping the Commandments and observing the Feasts, even though they may not completely obedient or they do not live in Israel. And, “those who are far” means those who have forgotten that YHVH was their God. And, the “really lost” ones are unidentifiable by natural means, unless one seeks a DNA testing. They are the ones whom YHVH declared to become as many as “the sand of the sea” (Ge 32:12; 41:9: Is 10:20; Ho 1:10; Ro 9:27) and described as “Israel is swallowed up; Now they are among the Gentiles” (Ho 8:8). They are not aware of the Israelite DNA they are carrying; and they are the true Lost Sheep of Israel.
Note: He also interchangeably uses the terms “the House of Israel,” “Israel,” “the House of Joseph,” “Ephraim,” “the Lost Ten Tribes,” “the scattered sheep,” “the Lost Sheep,” and “the Lost Sheep of Israel” to represent all those who have been exiled, scattered, and lost their identity as the Covenant people of YHVH among the Gentiles. There is probably a prophetic meaning for each way of calling them. But, for the purpose of this series, let us understand that they mean “The Lost Sheep of Israel” collectively. Accordingly, those terms will be used interchangeably to call the Lost Sheep of Israel in this series, and their identity will become clearer to you as you read along.
Nevertheless, YHVH knows who and where every single one of them is. I am certain that He is the One who had driven their ancestors to go and settle in certain places in the world according to His plans for them, and their descendants many generations later. Amazing!
Now, do we know who the Lost Sheep of Israel are? I believe so. They are the brothers of Judah, and neither Judah nor YHVH has forgotten the Lost Tribes; Judah has been praying for them, and YHVH has never stopped keeping track of them.
And, here is the news for you, who are a Christian of the Gentile origin and loves Yeshua . . . . . . . . :
You may as well be one of them, the Lost Sheep!
And, it is very likely.
Well . . . . , we will continue to discuss this, and I will show you how this is in the scripture. so that it will make better sense to you,
but in the mean time, an illustrative and well done video teaching by Jim Staley may also help you with this major paradigm shift. And, its very appropriate title is: “Identity Crisis.”
— – —
Correction and Update
I used to have Jim Staley’s teaching video posted here. But, I had to remove it because I had found his ministry, “Passion For Truth,” to be “more and more” judaizing and strongly influenced by Kabbalistic Judaism. Although Jim Staley teaches some truth, it is deceptive to teach the modern-day Jews are the House of Judah, and to support the Zionistic State of Israel (not the Biblical Nation of Israel).
The Jews today are not the House of Judah.
YHVH uses them as signs, and to test us. But they are NOT the House of Judah,
and Judaism is not the origin of Christianity.
Please read related articles that discuss the deceptions of Messianic Jewish Movement.
And, I sincerely apologize for the misinformation I previously “inadvertently” provided.
Deception of the Messianic Jewish Movement (a short article)
— – —
In the next part, I will discuss and show that Yeshua truly came for them (or for us), and that the Gospel is really the Good News originally and primarily for The Lost Sheep of Israel. And, I will further show you how His grace also extends beyond them.
May YHVH our God continue to open your eyes and heart, and prepare your heart to receive the truth.
Copyright © 2018 Olivet JournalFootnotes:
- Genetics of Samaritans: By the power of the amazing modern technology, now we know that the survived Samaritans have Jacob’s DNAs, and they are predominantly of Kohanim, the line of the priests of Levites. Here is the article: Good Genes: How the Science Helped the Samaritans Find Their Roots. <↩>
- 2 Esdras 13: “39 And whereas thou sawest that he gathered another peaceable multitude unto him; 40 Those are the ten tribes, which were carried away prisoners out of their own land in the time of Osea the king, whom Salmanasar the king of Assyria led away captive, and he carried them over the waters, and so came they into another land. 41 But they took this counsel among themselves, that they would leave the multitude of the heathen, and go forth into a further country, where never mankind dwelt, 42 That they might there keep their statutes, which they never kept in their own land. 43 And they entered into Euphrates by the narrow places of the river. 44 For the most High then shewed signs for them, and held still the flood, till they were passed over. 45 For through that country there was a great way to go, namely, of a year and a half: and the same region is called Arsareth*. 46 Then dwelt they there until the latter time; and now when they shall begin to come, 47 The Highest shall stay the springs of the stream again, that they may go through: therefore sawest thou the multitude with peace. 48 But those that be left behind of thy people are they that are found within my borders. 49 Now when he destroyeth the multitude of the nations that are gathered together, he shall defend his people that remain. 50 And then shall he shew them great wonders.” (*Arsareth: meaas “another country”) Text copied from Sacared-Text.com. <↩>
- This will play a key role in the discussion in Part 3: The Lost Sheep of Israel – The Gospel. Their religion was a mixture of paganism from Babylon and modified Judaism. They developed their own Torah, as some priests were brought back to entreat YHVH, “Samaritan Penteutech (Torah),” over the years (Article of Samaria). How the people group of the Samaritans came to existence is detailed in 2 Kings 17:24-41. <↩>
- When the word “the Jews” appear in the New Testament, it means: 1) “the inhabitants of Judea”; they are mainly 2) “those who are of the Tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and some Levites, who are the descendants of those came back from the Babylonian exile”; and 3) those who represent them, meaning “their religious and political leaders, such as Pharisees, Sadducees, and Sanhedrin members.” And when Yeshua and Paul call them “the Jews,” while they are also members of them, they mean 3) the religious and political leaders. <↩>
- “Those who are far off” and “those who are near.” These are a couple of many important “code words” or “identifiers” in the Bible we need to know so that we understand the context of what we are reading, and that we can “connect” the plot and His plan throughout. I have learned over the years that YHVH uses many “code words” to let us know what the people group, location, time of the year (Feasts/Seasons), and many more things that are discussed in a particular context. These hints help us connect the Old and the New Testaments. And they are crucial in understanding prophecies. I will show you more of them in this blog as I write on various topics. <↩>
- As prophesied in many places, those who are aware of their Hebraic identity have been already returning to the Land since Israel became a sovereign nation in May 1948, and the influx has been greatly increased in the past 20 years or so especially from the former Soviet Union. The Jewish population in the Land of Israel has reached 6 million in 2012. And in the past 10 years, “Aliyah” (immigration to Israel of the Israelites’ descendants; means ‘ascent’ or ‘going up’) from English speaking countries, including from the North America, has been increasing (The Jewish Agency for Israel).
Of course, after thousands of years, we cannot clearly identify the tribe of origin of each Lost Sheep any longer. Some of those from Judah stayed in Babylon and in Persia after the 70 years of exiles (Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther), and many of them must have lost their Jewish identity, I imagine. They can also be called Lost Sheep in a practical sense, although not in a biblical sense. Among those who maintained the identity as Israelites, the European Jews are called “Ashkenazim,” which are mostly from Judah, and those who lived in Spain are called “Sephardim”(Ashkenazim and Sephardim). It was about 1,000 AD when those terms were defined, and since then, of course, both groups have migrated to other parts of the world due to wars and oppressions. Many Sephardim were forced to forsake Judaism (‘Anusim,’ meaning ‘forced ones’) or to hide their Israelite identity (crypto-Jews) during the Spanish Inquisition and became Lost Sheep. Few of those from the House of Israel maintained the tribe identity, but most did not. There are some who had stuck together, even among the House of Israel, lived in a relatively closed community, and maintained their identity as Israelites. We hear amazing stories such as of the Benei Manashe (Children of Manasseh) who lived in India and Burma (currently Myanmar), who discovered their roots and resumed practicing Judaism 2,700 years after the exile, and recently made aliyah to Israel.
The Sephardim is the group that has been rapidly and widely growing in awareness of their Hebrew identity. They are the descendants of the Israelites who were expelled from Spain during the Spanish Inquisition (peaked in 1492) and were scattered mainly to the Latin American, African, European, and Arabic countries (Sephardic History). Actually, Christopher Columbus was one of them (Huff Post).
There are also tens of millions of Sephardim who are living in the United States, many of whom are still unaware of their identity (“Out of Hiding” by Dell Sanchez, Ph.D.; Dell Sanchez Interviewed by Jewish Voice Ministries). Among many Web sites on the Sephardim that have popped up in recent years, the following is one of the informative ones which provide various Sephardim related research resources, including on the DNA testing!: Sephardim.com. Israelite DNAs are also found in many tribes of the Native Americans (Colorado Indians; Cherokee). <↩>